Seventeenth Congress to convene May 11 for induction and reorganization
PALIKIR, POHNPEI. May 9, 2011 - The Congress of the Federated States of Micronesia will convene in Palikir on Wednesday – May 11 2011, at 10am Pohnpei time, to induct members-elect of the new Seventeenth Congress and to reorganize the leadership of the National Government.
On Wednesday, the new Congressional Body will select the leadership of the Legislative Branch and in addition, as provided for by the Congress Rules of Procedures, during the “first session of each new Congress for which members at-large have been elected,” the nation’s President and Vice President will be elected from among the eligible members.
According to the FSM Constitution, Congress members eligible for the Presidency and Vice Presidency are the States’ at-large or four –year representatives to Congress and the eligible members for Wednesday’s elections are:
- State of Chuuk, Emanuel ‘Manny’ Mori;
- State of Kosrae, Alik L. Alik;
- State of Pohnpei, Peter M. Christian; and
- State of Yap, Joseph J. Urusemal.
The Opening Session will also reorganize the leadership of Congress, namely the Speaker, Vice Speaker, Floor Leaders and decide on the Heads and members of the seven Congressional Standing Committees:
- Ways and Means;
- Resources and Development;
- Judiciary and Governmental Operations;
- External Affairs;
- Transportation and Communications; and
- Health and Social Affairs.
Recently seated Chief Justice of the FSM Supreme Court Martin G. Yinug will administer the Oath of Office to members-elect of the new Seventeenth Congress. The Senators-elect in alphabetical order of the States and numerical order of the Election Districts (ED) are:
State of Chuuk
1. Emanuel ‘Manny’ Mori, At-large
2. Florencio Singkoro Harper, ED.1 (Mortlock Islands);
3. Roger S. Mori, ED. 2 (Northern Namoneas);
4. Bonsiano Fasy Nethon, ED. 3 (Southern Namoneas);
5. Tiwiter Aritos, ED. 4 (Faichuuk Region); and
6. Tony H. Otto, ED. 5 (Halls & Northwestern Islands)
State of Kosrae
7. Alik L. Alik, At-Large
8. Paliknoa K. Welly, ED. 1
State of Pohnpei
9. Peter M. Christian, at-Large;
10. Dohsis Halbert, ED. 1 (Sokehs, Kolonia, Sapwuahfik, Nukuoro and Kapingamarangi);
11. Berney Martin, ED.2 (Madolenihmw and Kitti); and
12. David W. Panuelo, ED 3 (U, Nett, Mwoakilloa and Pingelap)
State of Yap
13. Senator Joseph J. Urusemal, At-Large
14. Senator Isaac V. Figir
Congress invites the general public to witness the historical events May 11 2011 in Palikir at 10am Pohnpei time or tune in to the live broadcast enabled by the FSM Telecommunications Corporations through the assistance of the Pohnpei Public Broadcasting Corporation.
With the assistance of the FSM TC and Pohnpei Broadcasting, the live event will also be fed to the State Radio Stations and the internet through the FSM Telecom’s web address: www.fm